« Home | Yesterday I drove by Nordale Elementary, and they ... » | At McCafferty's Coffeeshop downtown, there is this: » | And on the final night of the Ren Fair, the Green ... » | Are starving artists on hunger strike for a more i... » | "Welcome to Subterranea! » | I'm thinking about signing a Girlfriend Test-Ban T... » | On the common sensation experienced after losing o... » | "Huh, that's fascinating! (Dammit I'm tired...)" »Â 

"Naked Beekeeping! Voted WORST IDEA IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY!!" -- me, 4am

I'm sorry. That line still cracks me up. I love the way ideas fission when you're tired and with fun strange people.

It's been one of those nights. One of those really good nights.

Tonight was the Summer Solstice. Here in Fairbanks, the land of the Midnight Sun, this means that the sun set at 12:45am this morning, and then rose again two hours later, at 2am (... but the way sunset works here in the summer, it never actually gets dark anyway). It also means tonight was the Solstice Street Fair, when they block off a chunk of downtown and have vendors and music and entertainment and shenanigans from noon to midnight.

For many years I missed the Street Fair because I was in Valdez for the Theatre Conference. Then last summer I was in California. So this is only the second time I've gotten to go to the Street Fair. My first voyage downtown today was lame, so I won't go into it.

My second time, I immediately stumbled on an AWESOME breakdancing demonstration.


It was stunning. I had no idea this town had decent breakdancers, let alone quality breakdancers, and it made me desperately want to go among them and learn their Secret Methods.

During my first visit, I went in a nearby gallery to see a friend, and was rather impressed with this season's crop of Arty Things. For instance, there was this fellow:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Which is like if whales actually looked like they do in Tlingit Indian formline art.

The night proved very photogenic.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com