« Home | "It's easier to say 'I hate you' than to say 'Good... » | "Mr. Campbell, would you sign my clitoris?" » | "They say that destruction is a crude form of art." » | Stupidity is its own reward. » | "Untitled (Car). Brandon Seifert, 2005. Steel, g... » | "Naked Beekeeping! Voted WORST IDEA IN THE HISTOR... » | Yesterday I drove by Nordale Elementary, and they ... » | At McCafferty's Coffeeshop downtown, there is this: » | And on the final night of the Ren Fair, the Green ... » | Are starving artists on hunger strike for a more i... »Â 

Placebo Activism

It's activism that does nothing but make you feel better, make you feel like you're doing something about it. It's proactive, and makes no difference at all. It's a sugar pill that you imagine is actually medicine.

I did a little of it this weekend. I've done a lot of it in previous years. Much of it was Atavism Activism, activism that worked once but no longer has any effect on a social structure that's adapted defenses against it; but that's just a form of Placebo Activism.

I think 99% of activism, at least on my side of the political spectrum, is Placebo Activism. It you're trying to have children, you aren't going to get there by masturbating a lot.

So true.

I think if you want to change the world, first make it happen for yourself and then help others who are ready. "Living well is the best revenge." Perhaps one of the greatest values of placebo activism is it allows people to find others of like mind.

Post a Comment